Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chapter 5 - New Commands and a New Covenant

Introduction to the Reading: I was on the stationary bike at the gym, watching the news on TV, when I first heard about the Chardon High School shooting. Of course the big question every reporter was after was, "Why?" There was plenty of speculation as to possible causes. To be honest I haven't kept up on the story, but I found it interesting that most of the speculation revolved around one thing: relationships. What was this boy's relationship with his family? What was his relationship with his teachers? And most notably, why had his relationship with his friends deteriorated so much over the last few months?

Relationships can by tricky. Even the best relationships can be tough. When I lived in the dorms, I roomed with my best friend a few years. It was interesting that although we got along great, inevitably once a year there would be a week when we would just get on each others nerves. The closer you get to people, often the more work it is to make that relationship work. I'm sure that you have had relationship struggles, be it with a friend, spouse, or your parents. Relationships are tricky.

Our chapter this week comes from the latter parts of Exodus. Usually when people read this part of HIStory, one word comes to mind: law. But I don't think that the law is the primary thing God is trying to teach us, nor was it the primary thing that Moses was trying to remind the Israelites of when he recorded this HIStory, nor was it the primary lesson the Lord was showing to his people. I'd argue that the main lesson revolves around this: relationships.

Today, on each page of this chapter, I'd suggest you ask yourself a few questions:
  • What relationships are we learning about here? 
  • What do we learn about the various individuals by their relationship to one another? 
  • Are the relationships improving or getting worse on this page? Why? 
  • What lessons can I learn in order to improve the relationships I have with those around me?
  • What lessons do I learn about God's relationship with me?
Breaking it down - page by page:
p. 59 - Don't miss it! Remember last week? What sign did the LORD give Moses that he would keep his promise? Oh yeah! Moses would worship God on Mt. Sinai. It's been quite a journey so far for the Israelites, and I'm sure not at all what they or even Moses anticipated, but God has kept his promise! Are you surprised?

Speaking of relationships, an important word comes up on this page that we need to define: "Holy." While the word definitely has religious overtones, it comes from the Old English word hal meaning "whole, complete, entire." Yet the Hebrew word used here not only means "holy," but also "sacred" or "set apart." It has the feeling of separateness. Think of it this way: you might have fine china or crystal glassware that you have set aside in a special cabinet and bring it out to use on special occasions. It's something that is set aside for a special purpose because it doesn't have chips or flaws like your everyday dishware. (We are also going to come across the word "consecrate" today which is the English word that means "to set aside for a special, sacred purpose.") God says, "Although everything belongs to me since I created and rule everything, I want to set you aside to be complete and without flaw - I want you to be my special people." God had a special purpose for the Israelites: to be the nation through whom the Savior would come.

Oh, and remember to ask yourself the questions in the introduction before going on to the next page!

p. 60 - I watched the move Transformers this week. It seems that in the movies, intergalactic beings are always more amazing than us, and the movies make that evident by the destruction that they can wreck on human civilizations. Now I don't worship transformers simply because they aren't real. However, on Mt. Sinai God did show his power and might. He is the true God. Why did the LORD show the people his power now? What was he trying to teach them about himself? 

Did you also notice the words "holy" and "consecrate" on this page? What is God teaching the people about his relationship with them? He's showing them that he is holy - without flaw or defect - complete in every way. In order for them to have a relationship with him, they too need to be holy - their lives need to be set apart and dedicated to serving him. There can't be any sin. Does that thought cause you to shake like the Israelites did?

p. 63 The only way to live in God's presence and have a good relationship with him is to be like he is: holy. The people say, "We will do everything the Lord has said," and yet we know full well that they will fail at that. How do we know? Because we are human just like they are, and we know exactly how impossible it is. 

But God wanted to have a relationship with these people! He says that he wants to live among them! The Tabernacle, a tent set apart for God, was a sign to the people that he was with them. However, it was also a reminder of how sin had separated them from God. It was a reminder of the broken relationship - only after sacrifice, only after the shedding of blood - could the priests who had been set apart even enter into the tent. Among the laws handed down to Moses are going to be law after law about sacrifices that had to be made. The priests had to be busy all day sacrificing animals. We may wonder, "Isn't it unfair that an innocent animal had to die to make peace with God? It's just so unfair!" But that is exactly the point! The sacrifices were a reminder of the ultimate sacrifice Christ would make. It is unfair how he took the punishment we deserve. We all - without the sacrifice of Christ, without his blood shed on the cross - would have no way of approaching God or living in his presence. But he did it for us - because he wanted to have a relationship with us, with me... with you!

Top of p. 64 - Talk about a slap in the face! It's almost like God's wedding day, the day he waited for so long! On Mt. Sinai God is making a covenant with the people - they are exchanging vows. God is promising to make them his special people, to love them, to take care of them. The people are to promise to keep his commands, obey, and serve him. In the midst of this ceremony, where are the people? Cheating on the LORD with other gods! How is the relationship now?

God still is going to keep his promise, but he says he won't go with them. This is a relationship on the rocks. The people are "stiff-necked." Whenever I hear that phrase, I think about trying to get my dogs to go one way when they are set on going a different way: they stiffen up and although they are a third of my weight, they are impossible to move. It makes you wonder in what ways you are "still necked," what sinful habits you resist changing.

Top of p. 69 - Moses pleads with the Lord for mercy. He asks the Lord to once again promise to go with the people on their journey. Once more we learn again about our God, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God," how loving he really is. In spite of his glorious perfection, he has compassion on his people and goes with them.

We also hear how he is jealous. Isn't jealousy wrong? But why is it OK for God to be jealous? Why is he so upset when his creation worships other gods? I guess another way to ask it; Is his jealousy for selfish reasons or for our benefit? Who is really hurt when we turn to false gods?

When You're Done Reading - The upper story meets the lower story: Knowing that God is perfect can be scary. It is more frightening than any sci-fi movie because it's not fiction. God exists. He is powerful. He is perfect.

We want a relationship with God. We need a relationship with God. Yet we realize full well what happens when the "upper story" meets the "lower story." Like Moses learned, no sinful human can see God's glory and live. How can we stand in God's presence? How can we live with him eternally?

Moses needed to plead with God on behalf of the people. He went between the LORD and the people. We also have one who intercedes for us. I'm sure you know who it is! Paul writes, "Who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is the One who died, but even more, has been raised; He also is at the right hand of God and intercedes for us" (Romans 8:34). How can we have a relationship with a perfect God? Because God himself, the judge of the world, is the same one who wants to have a relationship with us and found a way to make it happen. Christ, human for our sake yet perfect God, is our intercessor and our sacrifice. 

Making it My Own: On page 61 and 62 we read the Ten Commandments. They might be some of the best known words in all of scripture. Even many unbelievers recognize these commands and acknowledge that they are wise rules of life. Although debated these days, often the Ten Commandments are placed in public places.

Yet when people hear the Ten Commandments, the first thought that comes to mind (once again) is "laws." They view the Ten Commandments as restrictions - rules that prohibit them from doing something.

Luther didn't picture the Commandments as a restrictive code. As we've seen today, the Lord's purpose in giving commands to his people wasn't to make life tough on them. He gave them his laws so that he could bless them. So that their relationship could be blessed. Instead of looking at the Commandments as a law book, perhaps they might be better viewed as a "10 step program." I know it's not the perfect comparison, but my point is that like steps in a self-help book, God's commands aren't meant to make life tougher. They are meant to make life better. Luther, in explaining the Commandments, made a point of not only pointing out what God is trying to keep us from doing, but also what he wants us to do! Notice that every command is really a guide to a better relationship with God or a better relationship with your neighbor. I've even heard the Commandments pictured as little safes, each one protecting one of the blessings God has given us. Yes the Ten Commandments clearly show us our sin and where we have failed, but they are also a guide to a better relationship with God and those around us. Motivated by God's love for us, we want to show our love by improving our relationships with him and our neighbor.

What role do the Ten Commandments play in your life? Should they play a more significant role? How often would you like to read the Ten Commandments? Read the Ten Commandments, along with Luther's explanation. As you read, ask the following questions about each Commandment:
  • With this command, is God giving me guidance on my relationship with him or my neighbor?
  • What blessing is God protecting in this safe? In his love, what has he given me that he wants me to cherish?
  • How can I use this commandment as a guide to improving that relationship and that blessing God has given me?
Prayer/Hymn:
By: Salomo Franck
1) O God, forsake me not!
Your gracious presence lend me;
Oh, lead your helpless child;
Your Holy Spirit send me
That I my course may run.
Be you my light, my lot,
My staff, my rock, my shield.
O God, forsake me not!

3) O God, forsake me not!
Lord, hear my supplication!
In every evil hour
Help me resist temptation;
And when the prince of hell
My conscience seeks to blot,
Be then not far from me.
O God, forsake me not!

4) O God, forsake me not!
My heart your grace addressing,
O Father, God of love,
Grant me your heavenly blessing
To do when duty calls
Whatever you allot,
To do what pleased you.
O God, forsake me not!

5) O God, forsake me not!
Lord, I am your forever.
The true faith grant to me;
Grant that I leave you never.
Grant me a blessed end
When my good fight is fought;
Help me in life and death.
O God, forsake me not!

P.S. Remember! If you have questions, comments, insights...please post a comment! We'd love to hear from  everyone!

For those who like more:
  • Matthew 22:34-40 - Jesus explains the Commandments
    • What one word can be used to summarize the Ten Commandments?
  • 2 Corinthians 3:7-18 - I've always found this portion of Paul's letter to the Corinthians fascinating.
    • According to Paul, why did Moses put a veil over his face. It wasn't because it was glorious, per se, but because the glory was _______. 
    • However, the glory of the gospel is _________.
  • If you would like some help meditating on the Ten Commandments, you can check out this Forward in Christ series.

No comments:

Post a Comment