Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chapter 14 - A Kingdom Torn in Two

1 Kings 12-16



Introduction to the Reading: What is the hardest decision that you have had to make? I know one of my toughest decisions was where I wanted to go to college. I think one of the reasons it was tough was because I had some time to decide, and I knew the decision could have a huge impact on my life. It made it more complicated because money was involved, and because I had lots of options.

I was super excited when I got an acceptance letter to the University of Chicago - an exceptional school that was very difficult to get into. I also knew the price was a bit out of my range. I really liked one school where the curriculum was based entirely on the great works of literature, but I wasn't as thrilled when I visited and they happened to be reading portions of the Bible - from a very critical viewpoint. It was awesome when I received a scholarship to a school in Ohio, but to be honest I wasn't very excited about the school.

I'm sure you have all had to make some tough decisions: what degree to pursue, what job to take, where to live, whether to stay or breakup with that special someone...or get married. Decisions can be even tougher when we realize the impact that they may have on others. Today we hear about some of the decisions that the leaders of God's special nation had to make, how they made those decisions, and God's opinion of their choice. Let's analyze some of those decisions and see if we can't learn from them!

Time to Slow it Down - Page 195:

  • What decision did Rehoboam have to make?
  • On what did he base his decision?
  • Would you have made the same decision if you were in his shoes?
  • Was his decision a God pleasing decision (Notice that this a different question than the one above!)
Top of Page 196:
  • What decision does Rehoboam face this time?
  • In this instance, what does he base his decision on?
  • What do you think his advisers had been telling him to do? What do you think he wanted to do?
Top of Page 197:
  • Jeroboam, king of the Northern Kingdom of Israel, seeks advise because of what problem?
  • What decision does he make? Politically was it a wise decision?
  • What is God's verdict of the decision? Why?
Bottom of Page 198:
  • What were the consequences for Jeroboam and his family because of his decisions?
  • What were the consequences for the people of Israel?
Top of Page 201:
  • Do you think Asa gained or lost political popularity because of his reforms? What family troubles do you think resulted when he deposed Maakah?
  • Was Asa's life easy or tough because of his decision to follow the Lord as leader?
  • Why do you think the book of Kings doesn't record Asa's "achievements, all he did and the cities he built?"

When You're Done Reading - Thoughts to Ponder:
We don't know who the author of the Book of Kings is. We don't know when it was written. The book never states it's purpose either. But perhaps we can learn something from what isn't said. What do I mean by that? Well let's take a look at the king of Israel named Omri. Do you remember reading about him? Probably not because he's just briefly mentioned in the commentary in our reading. From a political historian's perspective, however, Omri would have been a world figure. He established a dynasty, made Samaria the capital city of Israel, According to archaeology, he subjugated the Moabites. Even long after his death, Assyrian records refer to him and his reign. Why does our book just mention him in passing? Well because that's what the scriptures do. In fact, the Bible only spends six verses on his reign and sums it up by saying that he, "did evil in the eyes of the Lord and sinned more than all those before him" (16:25). See, the scriptures aren't focused on the political achievements of these leaders, their administrative decisions and accomplishments, or their worldly fame and reputation. After reading today, what determined if a king was successful or not? It was whether they followed the Lord or not!

Making it My Own:
So what makes you successful? Have you made the right decisions in life? Have you chosen the right career, right investments, right schools for your kids? How would the world rate your decisions? What do your friends or family think of your accomplishments? How do you analyze your life? It makes us nervous making decisions because we know we haven't always made the right decisions in the past. As we look back, we sometimes are saddened by our decisions. Yet you know what I find comforting, even in these dark days of the Book of Kings? "Nevertheless, for David's sake the LORD his God gave him a lamp in Jerusalem by raising up a son to succeed him and by making Jerusalem strong" (Page 199). In spite of all the bad decisions - no I should say terrible decisions we have read about, God still manages to make sure the Upper Story is still playing out. What do I mean? In spite of the fact that things are falling to pieces, God's plan to bring a Savior through David's descendants is still as strong as ever. Can our failures cause God's promises to fail? Never! When I look back on my life and think, "What if..." As I analyze all the different ways my life could have played out, I realize that life could have been very different, but the end result is always the same: God stuck with me; God loves me.

Prayer/Hymn:
1789-1855 Text by Josiah Conrad
From: THE HANDBOOK TO THE LUTHERAN HYMNAL St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1942)p.32
1. Lord, 'tis not that I did choose Thee;
That, I know, could never be;
For this heart would still refuse Thee
Had Thy grace not chosen me.
Thou hast from the sin that stained me
Washed and cleansed and set me free
And unto this end ordained me,
That I ever live to Thee.

2. 'Twas Thy grace in Christ that called me,
Taught my darkened heart and mind;
Else the world had yet enthralled me,
To Thy heavenly glories blind.
Now my heart owns none above Thee;
For Thy grace alone I thirst,
Knowing well that, if I love Thee,
Thou, O Lord, didst love me first.


No comments:

Post a Comment