Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chapter 17 - The Kingdoms' Fall

2 Kings 21, 23-25
2 Chronicles 33, 36,
Jeremiah 1-2, 4-5, 13, 21
Lamentations 1-3, 5
Ezekiel 1-2, 6-7, 36-37



Introduction to the Reading: 
Have you ever seen an accident? I remember once I was coming home from work and while stopped at a stop light on 27th & Drexel, a car went through the stop light full speed. It hit another car sending it flying into the median. In a split second it was over. Being the first one at the light, of course I had a front row seat. A few days later the insurance company asked me to relate what I remembered. I tried my best to give as many details as possible, but there were some things that I wish I had noticed - like how long the light had been turned red. While what I remember is still vivid in my mind, there was also quite a bit I didn't catch.

Today we are going to read about what you might call a train wreck. As you turn the pages, you can see it coming. The train is flying down the tracks, headed right for disaster, and you know what lies ahead, but there seems to be nothing to stop it. In fact, the Lord himself through the prophets tells  with accuracy exactly what is going to happen, yet we are headed right towards disaster. 

While this chapter can be quite depressing, there is something that we can learn. Just like car makers and insurance companies watch accidents in slow motion and analyze data from car wrecks so that they can learn from them and hopefully prevent injuries in the future, we too can learn from the fall of Judah and take lessons for our lives. 

While You Read - Following the Timeline:
   Dates                               Prophets                                             Kings               World Powers



NAHUM
   (Destruction of Ninevah)

Manasseh
·       Son of Hezekiah
·       Restores idols, high places, Baal & Ashtaroth, worship of stars, altars in temple, Moloch, astrology, and diviners
·       Every day killed some believers
·       Taken into captivity by Babylon; repents; freed and returns to Jerusalem
·       Removes idols; returns to woship of the Lord
·       Son Amon rules 2 years; wicked; killed by servants
Assyria
660 B.C.
ZEPHANIAH
(Repentance to Judah; eventual downfall of enemies; restoration)
640 B.C.
Josiah
·       Given crown by people at age 8; line of David
·       Faithful to the Lord
·       Purges ALL FORMS of idolatry in Judah and former Israel
·       Repairs temple; book of the Law found; Passover celebrated
·       Huldah prophecies that Jerusalem would be destroyed; Josiah would die young and be spared grief
·       Tries to prevents Egypt from aiding Assyria; killed in battle while young according to prophecy of Hulday
·       Lamentation of people
·       Jehoahaz made king by people; Imprisoned by Necho and dies in Egypt
Huldah
(prophetess; Josiah’s death)
620 B.C.
HABAKUK
(Repentance to Judah)
JEREMIAH
(Lamentations)
Babylon
Jehoiakim
·       Made king and given name by Necho of Egypt
·       Evil
·       Paid tribute to Egypt and Babylon
·       Deported by Nebuchadnezzar
·       Son Jehoiachin briefly rules; invaded by Babylon; Royalty taken into captivity; temple plundered; made King of Babylon’s vassal; lamp of David flickering in Babylon
600 B.C.

Zedekiah
·       Son of Josiah
·       Made puppet king by Nebuchadnezzer
·       Plots against Babylon; warned by Jeremiah not to do so; attacked by Nebuchadnezzar; Jerusalem put under siege
·       Defeated; taken to Babylon; eyes plucked out
·       Judah destroyed and most inhabitants taken into captivity
DANIEL
(Prophet and Royal Advisor in Babylon)
EZEKIEL
(Priest-prophet; dry bones and humongous temple)
586 B.C.

When You're Done Reading - Thoughts to Ponder:
Since I'll be leading the Bible study on Sunday, I'll save much of my commentary for then. However, as a review, let me ask you a few questions:
  • Of the kings we read about, in your opinion, which was the worse? Why?
  • What reasons did the prophets give as to why they weren't able to proclaim the word of the Lord? How did the Lord respond to each excuse? What excuses do you give?
  • Of all the sins of the Jews, the trespass of which commandment did the prophets preach against the most in our lesson? Why do you think that is?
  • If you had to pick portions of scripture that give comfort, what verses would they be? 
Prayer/Hymn:
By: Johann Franck

Lord, to you I make confession:
I have sinned and gone astray,
I have multiplied transgression,
Chosen for myself my way.
Led by you to see my errors,
Lord, I tremble at your terrors.

Though my conscience’ voice appall me,
Father, I will seek your face;
Though your child I dare not call me,
Yet receive me in your grace.
Do not for my sins for sake me;
Let your wrath not overtake me.

Your son came to suffer for me,
Gave himself to rescue me,
Died to heal me and restore me,
Reconciled and set me free.
Jesus’ cross alone can vanquish
These dark fears and soothe this anguish.

Lord, on you I cast my burden.
Sink it to the depths below.
Let me know your gracious pardon,
Wash me, make me white as snow.
Let your Spirit leave me never;
Make me only yours forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment