Thursday, June 28, 2012

Chapter 20 - The Queen of Beauty and Courage

Esther 1-9

Introduction to the Reading:The Book of Esther is awesome to read. It reads just like a novel. You have protagonists that you cheer for, a heinous villain, a beautiful queen, and an intriguing plot. And the awesomest (if that's a word) part is that it really happened! (It actually makes for a really good movie too! Check out "For those who want more" at the end for details.)


Today I recommend just reading and enjoying the story. We'll analyze and apply when you are done reading. But before you start turning the pages, I do want you just to take a mental note of one thing: how often is the Lord's name mentioned. Count the number of times "The Lord," or "God," or "The Almighty," or any other name for God is mentioned.

Before You Read - Background of the Book of Esther: The events we are going to read today take place roughly 40 years after the rebuilding of the temple was completed, which we read about last week. I extended my timeline from last week to give you a better idea:


So what can we tell from this timeline? (Other than giving away the fact that Esther will become Queen - sorry for a bit of a spoiler there. Don't worry, that's just the beginning of the book.) Well politically there haven't been any big shifts in power.The Persians are still on top of the political heap. There is, however, a new ruler on the throne. Not only is Jerusalem quite a ways away physically from the Persian capitol of Susa, but even if Xerxes had been born at the time of the temple rebuilding, he was just a boy. While a number of Jews are still living in Jerusalem and the surrounding area, there are still a large number scattered throughout the Middle East. In the book of Esther we turn our focus from Jerusalem to Susa, the capitol of Persia. And we meet a king whose most trusted advisors, if he were living today, would be Jim, Jack, & Johnny. 

When You're Done Reading - Thoughts to Ponder: So what did you think? Isn't it a fun book to read? So now that we are through, how many times is God's name mentioned? Well maybe I misses one, but I didn't see his name mentioned once. That's quite odd for a book of the Bible. With that said, do you have any doubt if God was involved in seeing things work out for his people? As you look back, it's so clearly evident that God had everything under control! Evil was avenged. God's people were saved. The Lord got the the glory!

Yet, to compare to to our lives, how often doesn't your life feel a bit like Esther's? Does it seem like God is missing? This week I was biking and hit a rut, messing up the back rim on my bicycle. Was that God's doing? What was his plan? I don't know! God didn't plaster his name all over my rim to tell me that he had a plan. What's God's plan with the forest fires in Colorado or the floods in Wisconsin? Beats me! For that matter, there was no traffic on my way home from work today. How does that work into God's plan? We often want to know the details. We want to know exactly what God is up to. Yet he doesn't tell us. 

We want to see miracles, just to know that God has things under control. This week in my personal devotion I read how Jesus calmed the storm (Mark 4:35-41). You know: Jesus and his disciples are out on a boat. Jesus is sleeping when a storm comes up. Afraid, his disciples wake him up. First he rebukes the wind and the waves, then he rebukes them. In the end, what they fear the most is Jesus (with a reverent fear that is). So I'm thinking, "Wouldn't it be awesome to see that!" 

Yet as I thought about it, isn't the Lord teaching us the same lesson by having each of these events recorded in scripture? He's telling us, "Trust me! I've got things under control! "

Maybe we don't see with the clarity that we want exactly how God is directing the day to day affairs of our life. Maybe we don't see God's name written all over the events of our day. Esther and Mordecai didn't know how God would use them. Yet as they looked back and as we look back at their lives, it's all too evident that God was indeed involved. As I look back at my life and all the times I didn't know what God was up to, in retrospect I see that he was with me all the way. He keeps telling me and telling you, "Trust me! I've got things under control! "

Prayer/Hymn: 
By Edward Hooper

Jesus, Savior, pilot me 
over life's tempestuous sea; 
unknown waves before me roll, 
hiding rock and treacherous shoal. 
Chart and compass come from thee; 
Jesus, Savior, pilot me. 

As a mother stills her child, 
thou canst hush the ocean wild; 
boisterous waves obey thy will, 
when thou sayest to them, "Be still!" 
Wondrous sovreign of the sea, 
Jesus, Savior, pilot me. 

When at last I near the shore, 
and the fearful breakers roar 
'twixt me and the peaceful rest, 
then, while leaning on thy breast, 
may I hear thee say to me, 
"Fear not, I will pilot thee.

For those who like more:
Alright, want to watch a movie this weekend? Why not watch the story of Esther? And I'm talking about a quality film production! From one review, "The story was faithful to the Bible but the film also created an imaginative background that allows us to envision the time in which Esther lived."
And if you aren't crazy about the details, there is also the Veggie Tails version (I can't say I've seen it personally so I can't comment on the accuracy....).

No comments:

Post a Comment