Monday, July 30, 2012

Chapter 25 - Jesus, the Son of God

Matthew 17; 21
Mark 8-12; 14   
Luke 9;22
John 7-8; 11-12

Introduction to the Reading:
What is your favorite Sunday in the church year? Ok, so maybe it's a strange question. I'm sure most of you don't haven't even thought about it. My answer is probably even a bit stranger: transfiguration.

I'll admit, for many years I thought it was somewhat strange that Christians traditionally celebrated transfiguration every year. I understand celebrating Christmas and Easter every year. But why transfiguration?

Some of you might even be asking, "What is transfiguration?" Well we are going to hear about it towards the very beginning of the chapter this week. Jesus is with his disciples Peter James, and John on a mountain when all of a sudden he is transfigured - his appearance changes. He suddenly appears glorious. The disciples notice something else: two men are with him. Now don't ask me how, but they recognize that the men are Moses and Elijah. Suddenly they hear a voice speaking from the cloud that enveloped them, "This is my Son, whom I love, with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"

I guess I should let you read it for yourself. I'll meet up with you on the middle of page 355. As you read, ask yourself, "Why celebrate the Transfiguration?"

Time to Slow it Down - Middle of Page 355: 
The last couple of weeks I've asked two somewhat similar questions: "Who is Jesus?" and "How did people respond to Jesus?" Both questions come together at the beginning of our lesson. Jesus asks his disciples the question point blank, "Who do you say I am?" And what is Peter's response? "You are the Messiah!" Woohoo! They get it, right? Well...no. Not quite exactly. Well the answer is correct, but the meaning is wrong. They get that he is the Messiah, but they don't understand completely what that means. Are you confused yet? Don't worry, so are the disciples. Let's go up the mount of transfiguration with them. Jesus will shed some light on the things (pun intended).

So who is the Messiah? Well through The Story we have heard promises about the one who would come to defeat the serpent - the Devil - all the way from the beginning in the book of Genesis as Moses recorded the events that had taken place in the Garden of Eden. The prophets spoke of the suffering servant who was to come. Why have Moses and Elijah miraculously appear on the mountain? It was a visible way of showing what Jesus had been telling his disciples all along: he was the one who had been talked about from the beginning of the story. The one that prophets like Elijah knew was coming.

But as if the glory wasn't enough...even if the very words of the prophets aren't sufficient testimony...God the Father speaks. The case is settled. The question that we've been asking the last couple of weeks, "Who is this?" The question that possibly you've had roll through your mind now and then is answered. What further evidence do you need? Jesus truly is the Son of God, the one anointed to carry out his Father's task of saving the world from sin - the Messiah.

But this is where the events to me get really interesting. Peter says, "The is amazing! Let's put up tents. Let's make this last a little longer." What a great response, right? Absolutely not. You applaud his enthusiasm. You empathize with his desire. Hey, I know I'm jealous - I would have loved to have been there myself. But one thing is missing: it's not just who Jesus is...it's what he does. See to me the most amazing thing about the Transfiguration is what happens right after: Jesus comes down the mountain. Here he is, the Son of God, and he continues on the journey to the cross to suffer and die. He knows exactly what's going to happen. He even tells his disciples. Yet, he knows that he must suffer in their place and in ours. What amazing love.

There is plenty I could comment on in today's reading. But today I encourage you to let the Transfiguration set the tone for your reading. How did Peter see the events that we read about differently as he followed Jesus to Jerusalem? Why, considering what events the disciples are about to see, was the Transfiguration a moment for them to hang on to in their memory? How often did they think about it? When they saw the people debating, wondering, following, rejecting Jesus, how would the Transfiguration impact how they processed what everyone else was saying?  Walk with the disciples down from the Mount of Transfiguration and up to the Mount of Calvary.

When You are Done:
So what does the Mount of Transfiguration mean for me? Why do I like celebrating Transfiguration? This is my answer: because I know that like the disciples there are going to be valleys ahead. Will people question if what I believe about Jesus is true? Absolutely! They will argue it and debate it and question it. Will there be times of confusion? I'm almost positive. Will there be times when I'm glad that I had my faith to hang on to? Sure - like Mary in the midst of Lazarus' death. Will my faith be tested, like Peter's was (as we will hear about next week)? I'm sure it will.

But when it's all said and done, I know that Jesus went down the mountain. He went down not so that I could have someone to commiserate with about how tough life is down here. He went down so that he could go up another mountain I could never go up on my own: Mt. Zion - the New Jerusalem - heaven. He died so that he could also rise again, as he stated over and over today. He rose so that he might have power over death and guarantee that I will rise again.

I can't help but think that in spite of all the events that took place those days before the crucifixion that the Transfiguration was constantly on the minds of Peter, James and John. It had to be on their mind every time they saw a miracle, or heard Jesus make a claim about who he is, or heard someone argue that he wasn't really the Messiah, or watched the leaders try to arrest him. I don't know what tomorrow brings, but tonight I'm going to sleep and I hope tomorrow that the transfiguration is on my mind as well. 

Prayer/Hymn:
by Joseph A. Robinson


’Tis good, Lord, to be here,
Your glory fills the night;
Your face and garments, like the sun,
Shine with unborrowed light.

’Tis good, Lord, to be here,
Your beauty to behold
Where Moses and Elijah stand,
Your messengers of old.

Fulfiller of the past,
Promise of things to be,
We hail your body glorified
And our redemption see.

Before we taste of death,
We see your kingdom come;
We fain would hold the vision bright
And make this hill our home.

’Tis good, Lord, to be here.
Yet we may not remain;
But since you bid us leave the mount,
Come with us to the plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment