Monday, August 6, 2012

Chapter 26 - The Hour of Darkness

Matthew 26-27
Mark 14-15
 Luke 22-23
John 13-14; 16-19

Introduction to the Reading:

It has been quite something, lately, hasn't it? As if the killing at the movie theater in Colorado wasn''t enough, right here in our own back yard a murderer goes and kills six people at the Sikh temple. I don't know about you, but I'm stunned that so many people lost their lives because one man decided it was his right (contrary to everything God teaches us) to cut short these individuals' time of Grace.

On top of it, one of my wife's friends died unexpectedly last Friday. She was in her mid-twenties, and although she had been struggling with a rare disease, no one anticipated that the Lord would call her home so quickly.

Every once in a while I'll watch a show called "1000 Ways to Die." At the beginning of each episode, the narrator says, "There's a lot of ways to wind up dead. The fact that we survive at all is a miracle, because every day we live [dramatic pause] we face 1000 WAYS TO DIE." This week I was reminded how true it is that life is a miracle of God - a time of Grace that comes generously from his hand - and how quickly that time can come to an end.

As you will read, in our chapter this week we also read about another death - the death of Jesus. I can't justify by any means what Michael Page the shooter at the Sikh temple did, and in my mind at least, I can't rationalize why my wife's friend died so young. Jesus' death wasn't justified - he did nothing wrong. While each of us mourns the lost of loved ones and struggles to see others taken from us, why do we celebrate Jesus death? What makes his death special? In spite of the millions and billions of people who have died over the course of history, why do we pay so much attention to one man dying?

I hope you already know the answer, but sometimes we need to be reminded of what we already know. I've probably read some of these verses hundreds if not thousands of times, but yet as I read these words of scripture this time, I was reminded of what made Jesus' death different. As we read this week, let's stop and pay attention to what made the death of the one man, Jesus Christ, so special.

Moments to Pause:
  • Bottom of page 368: In one sentence, using your own words, what did Jesus mean that " Unless I wash you, you have no part with me?" What does Jesus' death do for us, making it so important?
  • Bottom of page 369: The body and blood of Jesus, shed on the cross and present in the Lord's Supper, are the signs and seals of his new covenant with us. What is a covenant? Unlike the covenant the Lord made with Moses and the Israelites that he would bless them if they kept his commands, the covenant Jesus makes is one sided: it is simply God's promise to us. What is that promise? In the supper Jesus instituted, the forgiveness of sins won on the cross is sealed - made certain - to us as individuals. Jesus assures me that the punishment he took on - even though it happened nearly two millennia ago - impacts me. This isn't just any death - this is a death he died for me. He took on the punishment of sins for me.
  • Bottom of page 370: At times Jesus spoke quite openly about who he was, and yet his disciples still didn't fully comprehend it (at least at the time). Who does Jesus say he is? What sentences in this section do you think most clearly explain who he is?
  • Bottom of page 373: What evidence is there that Jesus is going willingly to his death? It's almost comical how no one really gets it! What do you think the "mob" thought about Jesus when they saw the miracles? How does Peter respond?
  • Bottom of page 374: Who does Jesus clearly claim to be before the religious leaders?
  • Bottom of page 377: Before Pilate, Jesus is not only called a king, but what else?
When You're Done Reading:
Finally someone gets it - really gets it! What made Jesus death different? For the last few weeks the underlying question I've been asking - and the ongoing question of those who met Jesus - has been, "Who is this?" Jesus' death is special - is memorable - is crucially important because it isn't just the death of some man. It is the death of the Son of God!

I can't understand how Jesus could be both human and God. I don't get how his death could be the substitute for the death I deserve for my sins. I don't know why he would even die for me. But he was, and it did, and he has. The whole Story - for that matter all of HIStory - has been leading up to this. With his death on the cross, Jesus crushed the head of Satan once and for all as prophesied all the way back in the garden of Eden.

Each day we face 1000 ways to die - if not more. We read about deaths in the newspaper and visit funeral homes. We are reminded constantly of our mortality. But the most important death to remember is that of Jesus - not just an ordinary man - but the Son of God. His death sets us free from eternal death so that we can enjoy the mansions he promised to prepare for us.

Hymn/Prayer:
by Johann Heerman

O dearest Jesus, what law have you broken
That such sharp sentence should on you be spoken?
Of what great crime have you to make confession—
What dark transgression?

Whence come these sorrows, whence this mortal anguish?
It is my sins for which you, Lord, must languish;
Yes, all the wrath, the woe, you do inherit,
This I do merit.

The sinless Son of God must die in sadness;
The sinful child of man may live in gladness;
Man forfeited his life and is acquitted—
God is committed.

Whate’er of earthly good this life may grant me,
I’ll risk for you; no shame, no cross, shall daunt me;
I shall not fear what man can do to harm me
Nor death alarm me.

And when, dear Lord, before your throne in Heaven
To me the crown of joy at last is given,
Where sweetest hymns your saints forever raise you,
I, too, shall praise you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for focusing in on what makes Jesus' death uniquely special. The hymn you quoted... I don't think I've ever really just read it straightforward like that to have it sink in that it's in the first person as a prayer to Jesus. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete