Monday, August 27, 2012

Chapter 29 - Paul's Mission



Acts 13-14; 16-20
Romans 1; 3-6; 8; 12; 15
1 Corinthians 1;3;5-6; 10; 12-13; 15;16
Galatians 1; 3; 5-6
1 Thessalonians 1-5

Introduction to the Reading: 
What was my first thought after reading this chapter? I thought, "That was long!" There are some amazing words from the Lord today, and I don't want you to become discouraged by the length of this reading, so I'm going to keep my commentary short this week. 

As I've mentioned before, a few years ago I spent six months backpacking Europe. Before I went, I decide that I wanted to make the most of my time. I made a list of things I wanted to see and things I wanted to do. Not only did I want to visit particular places, but I wanted to make the most of my time non site-seeing as well. For instance, I decided I wanted to take a certain number of pictures each day, that I wanted to stop in a grocery store in each town we stayed to see how the locals ate, and that I wanted to visit at least one historical site or museum each day.

As you read about Paul's journeys, you can tell he had some specific tendencies while traveling and goals as well. For instance, he would usually visit the Jewish synagogue first, and after the Jews rejected the news about Jesus, he would start preaching to the gentiles. What do you notice about Paul's travels? There are plenty of things you may notice. In fact, I've written a whole paper just on Paul's interactions with the Roman government. But from a broader viewpoint, what would you say are Paul's goals? Most importantly, how would you summarize Paul's message?

The river in Philippi where Paul met Lydia
The theater in Ephesus where the mob gathered shouting, "Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!"






When You're Done Reading - Thoughts to Ponder:
Dave Playing Chess at a Hostel in Amsterdam
One of my most important goals while backpacking Europe was to read my Bible every day. Of course, I do that even when not traveling. What was different was that I usually read my Bible during dinner. You see we usually stayed in hostels with kitchens. It saved us money to cook our own food, but there was an added bonus that people from all over the world would be cooking right next to you. Before long you would be having dinner in Poland with people from Australia, Japan, and Brazil. More often then not, having my Bible there at the dinner table was a perfect conversation starter. It was my way to start a conversation about Jesus.

Paul's main goal was obviously to share the good news about Jesus. While we may not be called to be full time missionaries and travel the globe, we too can intentionalize what we do too. We too can deliberately find ways to share Jesus. How can you share Jesus in your daily travels - even if they are only to the grocery store?

Paul had a message to share. It was quite clear: we all are in some way responsible for Jesus' death since we are all sinners, but Jesus has conquered death - and sin! Forgiveness of sins and eternal life is yours. What is your message?

Prayer/Hymn:
by Frances Havergal

Lord, speak to me, that I may speak
In living echoes of Thy tone;
As Thou hast sought, so let me seek
Thy erring children lost and lone.

O lead me, Lord, that I may lead
The wandering and the wavering feet;
O feed me, Lord, that I may feed
Thy hungering ones with manna sweet.

O strengthen me, that while I stand
Firm on the rock, and strong in Thee,
I may stretch out a loving hand
To wrestlers with the troubled sea.

O teach me, Lord, that I may teach
The precious things Thou dost impart;
And wing my words, that they may reach
The hidden depths of many a heart.

O give Thine own sweet rest to me,
That I may speak with soothing power
A word in season, as from Thee
To weary ones in needful hour.

O fill me with Thy fulness, Lord,
Until my very heart o'erflow
In kindling thought and glowing word,
Thy love to tell, Thy praise to show.

O use me, Lord, use even me,
Just as Thou wilt, and when, and where,
Until Thy blessed face I see,
Thy rest, Thy joy, Thy glory share!

Source: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/h/903#ixzz24nXGrL20

For Those Who Like More:
If you are really adventurous, you can read my paper on Paul's Developing View of the Roman Government.


No comments:

Post a Comment